J2534 Resource Page
What is J2534
- J2534 refers to the document number of the SAE standard for "Recommended Practice for Pass-Thru Vehicle Programming".
- The standard defines a general purpose Windows DLL API and hardware requirements to allow software to communicate on various vehicle busses in a hardware independent way.
- Additional revisions of this standard include J2534-1 and J2534-2. The OpenPort 2.0 J2534 DLL primarily follows the specifications of J2534-1.
Where can I find J2534 documentation?
- The standard can be purchased from the SAE for $59. The PDF document is copyrighted and DRM protected and thus cannot be distributed.
- Drew Technologies has a some good resources:
- About PassThru
- API documentation
- Drew Technologies J2534-1 Tool - allows you to connect to J2534-1 devices such as the OpenPort 2.0 and experiment with the API. This program was written for DrewTech products, and so some J2534 features are disabled in the program even though they are supported with the OpenPort 2.0.
- Sample code for DLL discovery